Friday, March 11, 2011

A Chill in the Air by John Frank


A Chill in the Air by John Frank is such a fantastic book
and I really think if you get a chance that you should take a look!

The poems begin to talk about the things that happen in fall;
they continue on till winter’s end and then you’ve read them all.

The poems remind me of those things I do now and did in the past,
They make me smile, they make me think and even make me laugh!

Poems like Signs, Fall, and Icicles have vivid imagery,
I can feel, hear and see the scenes as if they were in front of me
Blackberry Picking, Polar Vacation, and Thief made me grin.
If using humour was their goal then they would surely win.

There were three poems that had a big impact on me.
A Cold October Night , Moods and Winter were the names of these three.

A Cold October Night was the funniest of them all!
I would never think of a witch having to wear long-johns in the fall!
Sometimes the best poems are the ones that bring you laughter;
this poem brought me joy when I read it and long after.

Moods used beautiful language to show two sides of the winter season.
I really “felt” the different moods, and I love it for this reason!
I felt the calm and stillness of a quiet winter snow,
which changed to the anxiety of a blizzard that roars and blows

Winter is a poem that reminds me of when I was young,
when I was in figure skating, and I would have so much fun.
In this way the poem becomes a mirror to my world;
I can relate to how much fun it was to skate and spin and twirl.

The pictures are another thing that add to the vivid sight;
the lines create movement that puts autumn leaves in flight.
The pastel texture makes the snow look smooth with soft edges,
and also give a prickly feel to branches, grass and hedges.

All in all this book of poems is one that can’t be beat!
It would be great to read to your students when outdoors is lacking heat.
For a fall or winter unit it would be perfect as you can see,
but most of all to give your kids a love for poetry!

No comments:

Post a Comment