Monday, March 21, 2011

If you were a Palindrome by Michael Dahl

If you were a Palindrome by Michael Dahl is an Informational picture book about the figure of speech called the palindrome.The book is one of a series that teaches children about language in a fun, exciting relatable way. For this journal I decided to write a parody of the song "I can tell that we are gonna be friends" by the White Stripes to show how I responded to this book.


Lyrics
“If you were a palindrome”
is a great book for school or home
It talks about a play on words
that otherwise would seem absurd
It teaches kids about the palindrome
It teaches kids about the palindrome

I love the pictures in this book
bright and fun with a layered look
paper and cloth with paint on top
make the colors really pop
The pictures put me in a cheerful mood
The pictures put me in a cheerful mood

The book gives accurate information
about this cute little word creation
I knew palindromes could be in word form
but I didn’t know phrases were also the norm
This book is a good way to learn something new
an expert on palindromes could learn something too!

This book connects to my world
and to lives of boys and girls
music, magnets, pets and games
cookies, numbers, cars and names
these are things that I see everyday
these are things that I see every day

It doesn’t just connect to me
It talks about a place that’s over seas
the panama canal was the plan he dreamt
did I mention he was the president
This book teaches us about the world
This book teaches us about the world

I love this book, its really swell
kids will love it, I can tell
It will help them have some fun with words
they’ll never say it’s for the birds
perhaps they’ll try play with words at home
and maybe make the information their own
all from reading “If you were a palindrome”.


No comments:

Post a Comment